Oil Rig Design Competition
IPFEST 2018 Oil Rig Design Competition is a competition which combine the petroleum industry knowledge, engineering principal, and design concept to create a model of oil rigs. Participants hopefully can make a new innovative and creative design to create miniature of semi-submersible oil rig.
“Implementing the innovative technology collaboratively in offshore for enhancing energy resilience”
We are now probably facing a new era, Cheap Oil Era. Many kinds of alternative energy are finding their way to be more economical. We have to think innovatively and economically to build an offshore oil rig.
In Indonesia, there’s a lot of potential oil and gas reserves still trapped under the sea, such as, Natuna Field and Mahakam Field. Professionals predict that possibly there are more oil and gas reserves in east of Indonesia which have not been explored recently. Furthermore, Offshore Oil Rig must be resistant from huge wave and must be stable. Cost and technology will be the main problem because of the depth of the sea which is very deep and production facilities to separate CO2 from gas reservoir in Natuna Field.
Participants need to gather ideas to design the best Oil Rig Design without neglecting economic issue. In the end, oil and gas potential which trapped under the sea still can be exploited in a creative and innovative way for enhancing energy resilience.
Center of Research and Community Service Building (CRCS)
Institut Teknologi Bandung (ITB)
Time and Date
Friday, February 23rd 2018
08.00 – End (GMT + 7)
- Only active undergraduate students of any university may join this competition
- Each university can send a maximum of 2 teams with each team consisting of 3 – 5 people based on registration form
- Every member of a team must be from the same university.
- Every member of a team is only allowed to join a team
- Each team MUST send blueprint of the Oil Rig Design. Later, 8 best blueprints will be announced to continue to the Main Event of IPFEST 2018 Oil Rig Design Competition
- Represented participant for each team must attend the technical meeting on February 22nd 2018. The venue will be notified later through IPFEST 2018 e-mail or official account.
- All teams MUST present the rig model on the competition day to the judges
- All teams must bring 3 hard copies when they present the rig model on the competition, and this presentation will be an open presentation
- All participants should wear formal attire in Presentation Day.
- The judge's decision is final and absolute
- All regulations of IPFEST 2018 Oil Rig Design Competition are subject to change. All changes will be informed on technical meeting or days before the competition through the team leader’s email.
- The blueprint submitted should not include University’s name and attribute (logo, etc), only team’s name and team’s leader name are allowed.
- The presentation and Q&A session will be conducted in English.
- The rig model presented have to fulfill the requirement and MUST be the same with the blueprint that sent, or the score will be deducted 10% of the total score/li>
- Each team is given maximum of 10 minutes for presentation and maximum 10 minutes for Q&A.
- There will be load test on the ground, buoyancy test on water and heave test also on water.
- The rig is semi-submersible that MUST be a floating on the water.
- Participants MUST build the platform based on criteria and constraints stated by the committee.
- Each team MUST build an oil rig model before the main event day based on an oil and gas platform technology.
- In the midpoint of the deck should be perforated by 0.8 cm, in order to connect to the measuring device of heave motion.
- The created of oil rig model MUST be built by the respective teams. Any indication of oil rig model is not being originally made by the team will lead to disqualification.
- Failure to obedient with the rules may result in points being deducted or disqualification.
- The budget of making the rig have to less than USD 50 (using each participant’s currency value based on December 31th 2017 – due date for oil rig blueprint submission)
- The materials used to build the oil rig model are freed to participants.
- The dimensional provisions of the mockups are as follows :
- Leg of the rig model MUST less than 25 cm.
- Height of the rig model MUST less than 55 cm (without leg).
- Length of the rig model MUST be in range of 60 – 65 cm.
- Width of the rig model MUST be in range of 50 – 55 cm.
- Maximum depth of deck is 5 cm.
In Oil Rig Design Competition IPFEST 2018, there are three Official Judges, they are Lecturer from Petroleum Engineering ITB, a practician from SKK Migas, Lecturer from Mechanical Engineering ITB.
- Load Test (10%) The rig will be loaded on the ground until the participants ask to stop. The weight of oil rig design will be measured. The smaller ratio of oil rig weight/load, higher score will be given.
- Buoyancy Test (15%) The rig will be loaded on water until the participants ask to stop or until the rig is started to drown. Buoyancy test will show us the feasibility of an oil rig design on water condition
- Heave Test (15%) A heave motion measurement device will be connected in the deck of mockups. The committees will measure the length up and down the mock-up which formed after giving wave motion. Only one person of the participant’s team who will participate in the heave test session.
- Creativity and Build-Ability (25%) The more efficient and logical innovation of the oil rig you made, higher score will be given
- Detail of the model (15%) The oil rig model should include any equipment used in real oil rig. More detail the model you made, higher score will be given
- Presentation (15%) How you sell your design in interesting way, content of the presentation, time management, systemic presentation, and ethic
- Economic Value (5%) The cheaper the model you have made, higher score will be given
- Judges (3 persons)
- Time Keeper
The Winners of IPFEST 2018 Oil Rig Design Competition will be awarded money and a certificate:
- 1st Place : IDR 4,500,000 + certificate
- 2nd Place : IDR 3,000,000 + certificate
- 3rd Place : IDR 1,500,000 + certificate
- Registration will be conducted in IPFEST 2018 website registration form at www.ipfest2018.com at November 11th – December 1st 2017
- Oil Rig blueprint explains:
- Oil Rig model dimension
- Explanation of every feature on Oil Rig
- Budget Plan
- Post your oil rig blueprint to your own cloud storage (Google Drive/Dropbox) with file name [TEAM’s NAME_ORDCBLUEPRINT_THE LEADER’s NAME_ THE LEADER’S CONTACT] and submit the link to IPFEST 2018 email firstname.lastname@example.org and cc to email@example.com, format subject : [ TEAM’s NAME_UNIVERSITY_ORDCBLUEPRINT_THE LEADER’s NAME_THE LEADER’S CONTACT] before December 31st 21017
- Blueprint selection announcement will be on January 16th 2018 and will be shared at IPFEST 2018 official account and send directly to participants email.
- Items which you have to bring during the main event are :
- Oil Rig Model
- Presentation File
- Scan of Bills to proof every payment in your budget plan
- If your team have passed the blueprint selection stage, payment have to be paid before January 30th 2018 by submit your transfer slip to the link that will be given to your email.
- Only eight (8) teams with best designs will pass blueprint selection and will be invited to Main Event of IPFEST 2018 Oil Rig Design Competition at Institut Teknologi Bandung.
- The selected participants must submit their presentation file (.ppt format), maximum D-1 of this event which is February 22nd 2018, send it via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and cc to email@example.com , Format file name and subject : [ TEAM’s NAME_UNIVERSITY_ORDC PRESENTATION_THE LEADER’s NAME_THE LEADER’S CONTACT], for example [ SAGARA_ITB_ORDC PRESENTATION_BUDI_0813 2023 7847].
- Should there be any questions, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org or you can ask directly to IPFEST 2018 official Line account.
- Dimensions and Weighing
- First of all, the dimensions of the mockups will be measured. If the dimensions are not accordance to the dimensional provisions, these team is not allowed to participate in later tests, in another word, the score of these team later tests are zero.
- The mockups with suitable dimensions will be weighed to determine the weight of each mock-up. The maximum weight of the mockups is freed to participants. The weighing is done with the condition of an empty deck, therefore the equipment that placed on the deck will be able to be removed. If those equipment can’t be removed, the weighing will be done with the equipment which attached on the deck and there will be no dispensation for these team.
- Load Test
- The test will be conducted on the ground. The mockups will be placed on the ground then the loads will be given on deck continuously. Loads will be discontinued when the mockups is collapsed. In this session, the assessment will be obtained from the weight ratio of the mockup with the maximum load that is able to be carried by the mock-up. The smaller value of the ratio will get the higher the value of the score for this session. The maximum score of the load test is 100.
- Buoyancy Test
- The test will be conducted on the water of small pool.
- In the buoyancy test, the mechanism is similar with load test, which is only teams who are accordance to the dimensional provisions that can participate in buoyancy test. The mockups will be placed on the water then the loads will be given on deck continuously. Both the Buoyancy test and Load test, the committee will serve loads for the participants. Loads given will be discontinued when there are conditions as follows: the bottom of the deck touch the water surface, the deck is damaged, the mock-up is over tuned, and the mock-up sinks. In this session, the assessment will be obtained from the weight ratio of the mockup with the maximum load that is able to be carried by the mock-up. The smaller value of the ratio will get the higher the value of the score for this session. The maximum score of the bouyancy test is 100.
- Heave Test
- Mockups will be connected to gauge heave motion which has been prepared by the committee, the gauge is connected to a deck that has been hollowed by participants.
- After mockups are connected, the committee will turn the wave on for 20 seconds.
- Heave motion measuring device will record the amount of up and down movement of mock-up caused by the waves and will be recorded on the paper.
- After the wave maker is turned off, the committee will measure the length up and down the mock-up of the wave that has been recorded on paper. Representatives of the participants are able to watch and see the committee when making measurements. (1 decimal places)
- After 8 teams do the test of heave motion, there will be conducted Ranking of the test results and sorting heave motion is based on the smallest value of the distance up and down mock-up against the waves. The smallest distance value will get the biggest points
- Creativity and Build-ability
- Mockups will be scored based on creativity and aesthetics aspect of the scale model.
- Creativity and originality to build the scale model, implementing innovation feasibility aspect of features.
- The effectiveness and usefulness for all the features.
- Detail of the model
- The judges will be score based on the components that are placed on the model is compatible with those on the Offshore Drilling Rig.
- Those components starting from :
- Power system
- Hoisting system
- Rotary system
- Circulating system
- Structure and Foundation
- Safety system
- Crane and Flare
- Living Quarter
- Media and quality of presentation
- Content of presentation
- Completeness of presentation ( name and type of platform, background, objective, capability, features and innovation )
- Quality and simplicity of the content
- Clearly explanation
- Easy to understand and ability to answer all the questions
- How participants answer questions in Q&A session
|Open Registration (1st Batch)||: November 11th – December 1st 2017|
|Blueprint Submission Deadline||: 31st of December 2017 at 23:59 (GMT + 7)|
|Selection Phase Announcement||: January 16th 2018|
|Competition||: February 23rd 2018|
- Fajar Khamim Mustofa
- Head of Oil Rig Design Competition Division